Union comes back strong on Demons

Sports Editor
LUGOFF - Don't make them angry, you wouldn't like them when their angry. No. 9 Lugoff-Elgin jumped out to a 14-0 lead, but only succeeded in awakening a sleeping giant, as No. 1 Union came back to defeat the Demons 41-14 on Friday night in Lugoff.

"Lugoff-Elgin is a good team and they showed that tonight," said Union coach Mike Anthony. "Our kids didn't quit and showed a lot of character, coming back after trailing 14-0."

Union's defense held Lugoff-Elgin to just one first down and 24 yards in the second half, while the Jacket offense clicked off 34 unanswered points. "The defense was awesome in the second half and allowed the offense to get on track, come back and win this game," said Anthony.

The rout began when Justin Knox found Tyrone Chick for an 8-yard touchdown pass early in the third quarter. The PAT was blocked and Lugoff-Elgin still had the lead, but the momentum had turned.

Eirish Stevens gave Union its first lead of the night with 3:17 left in the quarter, running 3 yards for the score. The entire drive was all Knox and Stevens on the ground, covering 57 yards. Knox ran in the two-point conversion and Union led 21-14.

The Demons went three and out and then Knox and Chick were at it again, scoring on a 45-yard passing play. Nick Maness' kick was good and Union led 28-14 going into the final period.

The Jackets kept pouring it on. Kendrick Lyles returned a Demon punt 50 yards for a touchdown, after Stevens sprung him on a good block. Maness' PAT was blocked and Union led 34-14.

One play later Stevens put a hit on Lugoff's Clifton Gathers, causing a fumble recovered by the Jackets. Chad Robinson made and interception on the Demon's next drive. De'Rail Sims finished the scoring with a 22-yard touchdown run followed by a successful extra point.

At the end of the game, Lugoff's Gathers broke free and was headed for a touchdown, but fumbled into the end zone - Union recovered. The play pretty much summed up the Demons night.

The first half was the opposite of the second half. Lugoff's defense held on two Union fourth down conversion attempts and the Jackets couldn't do anything with a Stevens' interception.

Late in the first quarter, Gathers scored on a 5-yard touchdown run, set up by a 36-yard reception by Ryan Way from quarterback Tim Webb. Andreas Sevilhaug kicked the PAT and Lugoff-Elgin led 7-0.

Ryan Way intercepted a Knox pass and raced 45 yards for a score. The kick was good and Lugoff-Elgin and its fans were feeling pretty good about themselves with a 14-point lead.

But Union stopped the bleeding when Lugoff-Elgin fumbled a punt attempt and Travis Norris picked up the ball and ran 8 yards. Sims ran for the score on the next play, going 19 yards. Maness' kick was good.

Lugoff's Terrence Dixon intercepted a Knox pass just before the half, giving the Demons hope of an upset, before the bottom fell out in the second half.

Unofficial stats
Rushing: Union, 194; Lugoff-Elgin, 120
Passing: Union, 110; Lugoff-Elgin, 36
1st downs: Union, 19; Lugoff-Elgin, 11
Turnovers: Union, 2 INTs; Lugoff-Elgin, 3 fumbles and 2 INTs
Passing: Knox, 14-of-21, 2 TDs
Receiving: Tyrone Chick, 8-97, 2 TDs
Rushing: Eirish Stevens, 10-54

Union Yellow Jackets Home Page

Comments, Questions, Suggestions, News, and Information Always Welcome