Jackets upset Bulldogs to make round two


Graham Williams - Union Daily Times

CAMDEN – Determined not to see its season end in the first round of the playoffs, Union put its offense in gear late in the game for a 21-18 comeback win over Camden Friday night.

The Yellow Jackets, 6-5, will play Belton-Honea Path next week in round two.

In a near-repeat of last week’s loss to Clover, Union held the lead at halftime, only to see the wheels fall off in the second half.

Leading 14-7, Union got great field position at the Bulldogs’ 29-yard line after returning the second half kickoff 36 yards and Camden was penalized 15 yards for a late hit. The Yellow Jackets drove to the Bulldogs’ 2-yard line, but on third and goal Pip Smith fumbled and Camden recovered.

After a forcing the Bulldogs to punt, Union took over at Camden’s 37-yard line, only to turn the ball over again four downs later when quarterback  Steven Brewington was intercepted by Avery Drakeford, who returned the ball to the Union 47

On first down, Camden running back Earl Richardson blew through the Union defense for a touchdown, but Brant Tomlinson’s point-after kick was blocked and the Bulldogs trailed by 14-13.

Union’s next possession also ended in disaster, when the Yellow Jackets were forced to punt, but the center snap sailed high and punter David Gregory was forced to kick the ball out of the end zone for a safety, giving Camden its first lead, 15-14.

Camden extended its lead to 18-15 early in the fourth quarter when Tomlinson kicked a 27-yard field goal, capping a seven-play drive that began at the Bulldogs’ 41-yard line.

At this point, Union went to its hurry-up offense in an attempt to catch Camden’s defense off guard. It worked, as the Yellow Jackets moved 51 yards in 1:27, with the final 16 yards coming on a scoring pass from Brewington to Callahan. Gregory’s kick gave Union a three-point lead with 6:39 remaining.

Camden had several more opportunities to retake the lead -- including another interception -- but the Bulldogs failed to convert and their season ended, while Union’s continues.

Union struck first in the game when North-South All-Star Jamar Porter intercepted a pitch by Camden quarterback J.R. Carter and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown. Gregory’s kick gave Union a 7-0 lead with 10:04 left in the first quarter.

The Yellow Jackets increased the margin to 14-0 in the second quarter when Brewington hit Dontee Stewart for an 11-yard touchdown.

A short punt, combined with a 20-yard return by Drakeford, set up Camden’s first score. The Bulldogs needed just thee plays to go 26 yards, as Carter scored from 10-yards out to cut the lead to 14-7.

“We challenged our seniors not to let it end tonight,” Union coach Tommy Bobo said, adding that the Yellow Jackets can go far “if we just come out there and play and don’t hurt ourselves.”


Union      7   7   0   7  -- 21
Camden   0   7   8   3  -- 18

U – Porter 40 fumble return (Gregory kick)
U – Stewart 11 pass from Brewington (Gregory kick)
C – Carter 10 run (Tomlinson kick)
C – Richardson 47 run (kick blocked)
C – Tomlinson 27 field goal
U – Callahan 16 pass from Brewington (Gregory kick)


Union Yellow Jackets Home Page

Comments, Questions, Suggestions, News, and Information Always Welcome